Advance is a university-wide undergraduate research (UR) program that aims to provide each undergraduate with an opportunity to complete a Student Research Experience (SRE), a sustained effort to apply subject knowledge, skills, and abilities to a project that is valued by the discipline.
Student Learning Outcomes
Advance activities support the following Student Learning Outcomes (SLO):
- SLO 1: Students will acquire and demonstrate knowledge, skills, and abilities to complete an SRE.
- SLO 2: Students will recognize the value of research, scholarship, and creativity in developing and improving knowledge, and in facilitating learning.
- SLO 3: Students will demonstrate the skills necessary to articulate the results of an SRE in appropriate formats, venues, and delivery modes.
Advance is a significant step for UL Lafayette in the establishment of a highly effective UR program. Although the University aims eventually to produce a comprehensive UR program, Advance focuses narrowly on three goals that create the conditions for SLOs to be met.
- Provide more students with the opportunity to complete an SRE.
- Develop a campus culture that supports and rewards participation in high-impact research, scholarship, and creative activities.
- Prepare students to present and publish their work.
UL Lafayette is dedicating significant personnel and financial resources to support student research activities. Resources will be used for
- Student Travel Grants
- Student Center for Research
- Faculty Grants for student research
- UL Lafayette's Undergraduate Research Conference
- Presentation Skills Workshops
- UL Lafayette Institutional Repository
- Curriculum Development Workshops
- Library Enhancements
- Journal for Student Research
- Writing Center Enhancements