What’s a Student Research Experience?
A Student Research Experience (SRE) is an opportunity for students to apply knowledge, skills, and abilities to a project that is recognized in their field of study. We define an SRE as a sustained effort by a student to apply subject knowledge, skills, and abilities to a project that is valued by the discipline. An SRE may include
- systematic inquiry in order to discover facts, principles, or perspectives;
- contextual analysis or comparison to provide unique interpretations;
- application of professional skills;
- creation of unique visual and performing arts; and
- production of documents that contribute to a discipline or community.
The features of an SRE vary by program with each program identifying discipline-specific goals and considering the opportunities available to students in that program. An ADVANCE SRE with distinction should culminate with a presentation, publication, performance, or other form of dissemination appropriate to the discipline.